Tuesday 10 September 2024

You just can't go back sometimes

 

    Every so often I like to try on a book that's clearly written for kids. Not sure why, maybe wanting to recapture those fireworks that went off in your head when you discovered the world of books and the stories in them. When you were ten. Or whenever it was for you.

    For me it was ten, and "William" and "Biggles" and "Warrigal Joe" took me off into the world of fiction, from which I have never truly returned. I was hooked.

    So, when this recent book fell into my lap (Craig Silvey - 2022 Aust) I got stuck in - a young girl and her scraggy larger-than-life mutt in an Australian country town that's struggling. 10-12 year olds will surely love it, especially girls, as it has all the elements, clearly written for just that market.

        But I guess I'm not ten years old any more, not even that "kid" part of my spirit. I just couldn't finish it, as well designed and written as it is. I wanted to, but couldn't. Sad eh? I guess that if I took down (and I might) my "Biggles" and "William" books from my shelf now I'd have the same reaction. So maybe I won't. I want them to always be back in that special place in my soul. When they were amazing.

        Cheers...

                T.R.E.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>