Wednesday 17 July 2024

Two at a time?

     

    Sometimes - not often, as it somehow smacks a bit at insincerity (or something!) - I get into a book, but then get distracted by another one, and finish up with two on the go. Like these two.

        I started on "Hazelbourne Ladies..." and got about 50 pages in (it's a freebie from Smudge, off the wonderful staff chuckout table) but fell over "Unbearable Lightness..." in a roadside library, one of those sort of "icon" novels that you hear about from the rumblings of the Literati but never bump into. Till now. So I couldn't wait to have a look to see what all the rumours were about. You couldn't get two totally dissimilar works.

        If I finish the first one I'll do a proper review, but it's light and a bit fluffy and a totally contrived  and very English story and entertaining enough, while the second is a translation from the original Czech, and is a bit monotonous and a bit navel-gazing and a bit turgid and it's already over the side. Sorry Milan, couldn't get into it. I don't care enough about the agonies of a man-woman intimate relationship and Nietzsche philosophies to grind through it. I'm sure it has hidden qualities and I'm just a literary cretin but...  Okay, that's all, more soon...

        Cheers...

                    T.R.E.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>